[DPRG] spinner

Subject: [DPRG] spinner
From: Karim Virani karim at compuguru.com
Date: Tue Apr 18 10:55:32 CDT 2006

I went with something similar.  I have 6 wheels, all wheel drive and differential steering.  What I don't have is traditional suspension.  Instead 2 wheels on each side are mounted on carriages that rotate around their common center which is mounted on the main chassis connecting the rear wheels.  This allows the wheels to adapt to terrain in a different way.  Sort of like a linear adaptation of the mars rover setup. Right now the carriages freewheel.  The ultimate goal is to control the rotation of the carriages in certain circumstances to allow for better climbing.  I don't think brakes are enough - will probably have to drive them.

Unlike jBot I have 1 motor for each wheel, independently controllable.  This lets the wheels assist with carriage rotation in adapting to different stair lengths for example.

That's the theory anyway - I'd love to get it working that way.  Right now it's in pieces or I'd post a pic.

Karim