[DPRG] reprogramming PIC controllers

Subject: [DPRG] reprogramming PIC controllers
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Wed Apr 19 11:07:26 CDT 2006

Matt,

My PIC experience dates only from the 20th century, so you'll need to verify the
following assertions with the Microchip datasheet for that particular device
(datasheets can be found at the Microchip web site).

There are two obstacles to your current plan:

1)  "Code protection" fuses prevent the contents of the programmable memory to
be read out.  This allows manufacturers to "protect" their investment in
intellectual property.

2)  The program in the device is in "executable" form, which is nothing but ones
& zeros.  There are programs called disassemblers that will take that
mumbo-jumbo and attempt to re-create the original source program, but it will
lack any sort of explanation of that is going on and how it implements its
particular function.  It may or may not be obvious how to subsequently bend it
to your will.

Thanks,

Dale Wheat
http://dalewheat.com