[DPRG] Self-assembling batteries with viruses: Cool or creepy?

Subject: [DPRG] Self-assembling batteries with viruses: Cool or creepy?
From: R. Steven Rainwater srainwater at ncc.com
Date: Wed Apr 26 15:06:30 CDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 14:51, Mark Griebel wrote:
> > They've already got working fuel cells that
> > convert the glucose from human blood
>
> Just currious.....who are the "they" you speak of?

Adam Heller of UT Austin developed the first one I know of for medical
purposes.

Panasonic in Japan also developed some similar ones for medical
purposes.

Sandia Labs and Lockheed Martin were publishing papers on it for a while
too but I'm not sure what their interest is (I'm not sure I want to
know!)

That was all back in 2002/2003, I bet there are more by now. Try
googling for "enzymatic biofuel cells" - that should turn up cells that
run on glucose and a few other interesting fluids. And, in case you're
wondering, they don't put out much power. They generate a few
microwatts; just enough to power some nanotech medical devices.

-Steve