[DPRG] Speedometer

Subject: [DPRG] Speedometer
From: Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Date: Mon Jul 10 06:44:22 CDT 2006

> I know i will require either a
> microprocessor or a microcontroller for this project, which is why im
> pursuing it in the first place. I'd prefer a microprocessor as they are
> slightly harder to manipulate, but have far more options. Also, i have
> created things like this many times on an MCU, and id like to do something
> different.

What?

I would not recommend going there. The difference between a
microprocessor and a microcontroller are what is included on the
silicon. I microprocessor has just the processor and no peripherals. The
microcontroller has peripherals. You are wanting to go back to pre-1980?
Once yo have the hardware done the software is pretty much the same. The
closest thing I can think of that is out there is New Micro's NMIY-0032
which uses a very simple 8051 microcontroller. I do not think anyone
makes a 8-bit microprocessor that is not a microcontroller. At least I
can't think of any.

The better challenge is to see what is the least amount of HW you can do
the project with.

Someone else suggested the AVR Butterfly. Another suggestion is Dale
Wheat's microcontroller and display, (But it looks like he may not be
selling them any more.)

For a challenge and a different microcontroller look at the TI eZ430
http://focus.ti.com/mcu/docs/mcuprodtoolsw.tsp?sectionId=95&tabId=1203&familyId=342&toolTypeId=1
microcontroller and development system including in-circuit debugging
for $20
You would have to interface the sensor and a display but it can be done.

Kip

--
Kipton Moravec <kip at kdream.com>