[DPRG] IMU Odometry

Subject: [DPRG] IMU Odometry
From: Ed K. edk at kinetric.com
Date: Mon Jul 17 10:39:39 CDT 2006

> Then the next issue is standard differential or positraction? Standard
> differential would slip more, positraction would slip less.

Since positraction (called limited-slip, but really it's limited-grip)
exerts an added coupling torque between the wheels that resists rotation of
the vehicle around the center of the axle, I think it's more likely to
introduce slippage difference between the wheels and ground, and tend to
cause small heading errors that would vary depending on the surface and the
type of tire.  It might be harder to get a consistent calibration.

A positraction differential can increase acceleration ability for a vehicle
with a large difference in wheel force to the ground between sides, as when
cornering at high 'G' forces, or when one wheel is on a bump.  In those
cases, when the lightly-loaded wheel would otherwise spin, the positraction
can avoid gross heading errors, up to the point where it does start to allow
slip.

Ed Koffeman