[DPRG] RE: simpleminded monocular road detection (Chris Jang)

Subject: [DPRG] RE: simpleminded monocular road detection (Chris Jang)
From: Lance Rose lrose at jhsi.com
Date: Thu May 4 12:36:24 CDT 2006

What kinda hardware/software setup are you using?  This is great stuff.

>> I tried hacking a very simple monocular road detection algorithm for
a robot test drive yesterday. It is
>> incredibly primitive. Everything is done in post processing for
visualization of what can work. But as there is >> little computation
involved, no major issues are foreseen for an onboard implementation.

>> http://golem5.org/robot1/video/drive02.mpg (about 2.1 MB)

So each pixel is assumed to be a certain distance out?

>> What's effectively going on is a projection from the camera image
pixels down to the ground plane. If accurate
>> topography were available using laser rangefinders, etc, then the
projection could be pretty accurate as the
>> ground shape would be known. Then it would really be an inverse
texture mapping.

Note: This electronic message is not encrypted nor sent through secured telecommunication lines. This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information and is intended for the use of the named above. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by mistransmission. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you must not use, disseminate, copy it (including attachments) in any form or take action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and any copies of it and notify the sender immediately.