[DPRG] Shocking

Subject: [DPRG] Shocking
From: Dennis Draheim nomadicnerd at gmail.com
Date: Wed May 10 19:26:17 CDT 2006

I would respectfully say that they don't know what they're talking about.
It's not the voltage, it's the amperage that must be limited to prevent
injury.

I have owned a shock collar for a dog.  When it activates, a spark will arc
at least a quarter inch from its terminals.  There is no way that a 2-6v
charge could ionize the air to create such a spark.  While I haven't
measured it, I would guess that the voltage is at least 500-1000v.

I also have played with fencing transformers (I grew up on a farm -- I used
one as the primary stage of a Tesla coil once).  Their output voltage is in
the 1000-4000v range.  I believe their frequency is the same as that of the
power line, that is, 60Hz.

Tesla coils avoid injury by having a very high frequency and very low
current.  If you take the frequency up into the radio range (~50Khz or
better), then the current travels over the surface of the skin instead of
penetrating it.  I had a Tesla coil that generated 80000+ volts, and I could
hold a wrench in my hand and let the Tesla coil hit it with an 8" spark
without sustaining injury.  (Without the wrench, I would end up with a burn
where the spark touched my skin, more from the heat of the ionized air than
the current.)

Dennis