[DPRG] Shocking

Subject: [DPRG] Shocking
From: DeltaGraph at aol.com DeltaGraph at aol.com
Date: Thu May 11 10:41:16 CDT 2006

Ideally the ratio of secondary turns to primary turns gives you the voltage
amplification,
e.g. 5 primary and 1000 secondary would give you 200.

Using the typical NPN transistor with common emitter in series with the
primary winding tied to your battery voltage yields a higher than battery voltage
on the primary due to the spike you get when the transistor shuts off. That is
if you don't clamp the voltage as we often do with transistors or FETs driving
motor windings.

Often there will be voltage doubler stages, each composed of a diode and two
capacitors (as I recall) on the output of the coil, but in this case they are
probably not needed.

Some searching on the internet of course will give you much more detailed /
accurate info.

BTW, My nastiest high voltage project was a Tesla coil whose primary was a
15KV 60 mA neon transformer coupled in parallel with a 3x3 3/16" glass plate
capacitor then coupled to Tesla 10 turn primary via 2 inch spark gap. The
secondary had about 2000 turns. Output arcs were about 3 feet long (350 KV?).  Pretty
impressive. John Drummond says that it is nice to see that I am still alive.

Now then, the Science Place has a Tesla coil driven by and X-Ray machine
power supply. I would estimate 100KV at 100 mA. Really scary (7 foot arcs).

That would be a bit much for training a dog -- or whatever you are training.
At least you would not have to worry about reinforcement.

Speaking of the Science Place I need to post a reminder for tomorrow's Robot
Talent Show
which I will do in just a bit.

Ron