[DPRG] Shocking

Subject: [DPRG] Shocking
From: Jeff Koenig koenig.jeff at gmail.com
Date: Thu May 11 10:58:31 CDT 2006

My previous post may have gotten hosed somehow.  Here's what I wanted to post:

A $3 "toy" that the son of a friend showed me recently appeared to be
a cigarette lighter with an "AA" battery in it.  When held, it would
give you an awesome shock.

It appeared to be little more than a buzzer circuit - a coil with an
iron core that magnetically pulled in a switch, which disconnected the
current to the coil.  I'm guessing that the coil flyback was what
delivered the shock.  I didn't see any diodes or capacitors.

I didn't have an oscilloscope handy to measure the voltage/duty cycle
characteristics, but with a fresh battery, it made my arm spasm
violently.

(This post is for novelty item info only - I'm by no means advocating
or giving any kind of advice about how to deliver an electric shock to
a living being.  Personally, I'd be extremely hesitant to build any
device of this sort.)