[DPRG] Shocking

Subject: [DPRG] Shocking
From: Karim Virani karim at compuguru.com
Date: Thu May 11 12:50:50 CDT 2006

Some reminices and then a horror story.

When we were little, we used to hook-up a wallwart in reverse to a 9v cell, solidly connecting one terminal and rapidly scraping the connection across the other terminal - poor kid's half-wave AC.  Meanwhile, another of us would hold on to tinfoil leads connected to the prongs and see how long we could hold them.  Crazy.  I saw a Mythbusters episode yesterday where they were testing bathtub shock hazards and when they finally researched it properly (after the initial build) they determined that 6ma across the heart is fatal.  Don't know how much we were getting.

Horror story:  We bought those electric collars that would 'teach' our dogs if they came near a buried cable - a hidden 'fence' kind of thing.  In the spirit of "don't use it on your pets if you won't use it on yourself", I tried shocking my neck with the collar - once.  It was extremely unpleasant.  Two of our dogs learned quickly to avoid the marker flags.    But it didn't work well as a training solution for our smartest dog - 2 problems.  First she had a closed matty undercoat which sometimes prevented a clean contact between her skin and the probes - so she had inconsistent feedback and took longer to learn and got zapped more often.  We shaved the spot, but even a few days growth caused the problem.  Then she started getting zapped inside the house - usually near the stereo or other electronic equipment.  Once we forgot to take the collar off and left her inside for the day.  She was hysterical when we got back and had been badly burned by the contacts.  Must have been many shocks.  We've never used them since - didn't resell them - just threw them away.

Karim

From: "Jeff Koenig" <koenig.jeff at gmail.com>
Date:  Thu, 11 May 2006 10:58:31 -0500