[DPRG] Smaller than SICK laser range finder

Subject: [DPRG] Smaller than SICK laser range finder
From: DeltaGraph at aol.com DeltaGraph at aol.com
Date: Mon May 15 00:36:14 CDT 2006

The SICK LMS200 that I have played with  uses, I believe, a brushless DC
motor and an encoder wheel with I would guess 360 slots. They can do  .25 degree
angular step measurements (quadrature on 360 slot wheel).

Of course if you were willing to tolerate some error you could use a coarser
encoder. The optics in the SICK are massive enough that they probably don't
change rotational velocity too fast.

Of course minimizing angular error is probably the easiest and least
expensive place to attack error -- so I would imagine it is worth it.

On time of flight sensing, some interesting tidbits on this site:

http://www.acuityresearch.com/Resources/time-of-flight.shtml

- Ron