[DPRG] Smaller than SICK laser range finder

Subject: [DPRG] Smaller than SICK laser range finder
From: William Crolley w.crolley at mchsi.com
Date: Fri May 19 11:07:02 CDT 2006

Moving a mirror for a laser range finder is a good application for a
stepper motor.  The repeatability from step to step is very good, and
mostly depends on the accuracy of the stampings, not the electronics.  Big
problem with steppers is missing a step due to unexpected loads which
should not be a problem with turning a mirror.

The reason it is hard to get good numbers on how many samples per second is
because the laser range finder normally averages readings for improved
accuracy.  For example could average 1,000 readings for 1/16 inch accuracy
or average 10 readings for 1/4 inch accuracy.

William Crolley