[DPRG] Big Robot Base Advice Please.

Subject: [DPRG] Big Robot Base Advice Please.
From: Glenn Pipe ggpipe at yahoo.com
Date: Mon May 22 22:43:04 CDT 2006

I have built a middleweight battlebot from scratch so I know the kind of bucks that can take. If all you care about is moving around at the speed of a person (walking?) then it sounds like the $200 option may do the trick as long as you don't try skid steering as that takes alot more power. Also as another person said it depends alot of the surface that you travel on and the kind of tires you use. You only have to accelerate up to speed and maintain that speed, overcoming the force of friction.

For my MW battlebot, I had 2 1 HP motors in a skid steer arrangement. When it was in a drivetrain only config (no weapons or armour, about 40 lbs) it drove around great and was really zippy, but when I added the extra weight of the armour and weapons it started to have problems turning on rough concrete because the wheels I had dug into the concrete so well. It ran straight great though. To fix that problem, I changed two of the wheels to a harder rubber compound which helped some. Also the competition was held on a slicker steel floor so that wasn't as bad. I used IFI 883s, with 1 HP motors in a chain, sprocket reduction. Sprocket and chain worked OK, but you have to make sure everything is lined up well, and have chain tensioners. Even then you can have the occasional chain break or slip off. If I did it again I would use gear boxes or timing belts.

Thanks,

Glenn