[DPRG] offroad robot exercises -- 11 Nov 06

Subject: [DPRG] offroad robot exercises -- 11 Nov 06
From: Comcast email robodave1 at comcast.net
Date: Thu Nov 2 00:13:22 CST 2006

A rough estimate of degree directions based on GPS coordinates would be :
 252.12 degrees for 0.0003257 degree measure, ~100 feet? from point 1 to
point 2
 159.68 degrees for 0.0002879   from 2 to 3
   71.57 degrees for 0.0003162   from 3 to 4
 161.57 degrees for 0.0002846   from 4 to 1

Given the variations from 0.0003257 to 0.0002846 in decimal minute or degree
measure from GPS readings to estimate 100 feet, can there be any surety of
degree direction?

This was basic rectangular to polar conversion, but I'm probably neglecting
the changing measure of degree distance as latitude changes. And also did
not consider the changes in magnetic North based on position, thinking it's
about 11 degree difference.

I had hoped to navigate by magnitude and direction (magnetic compass)
readings, though do not have it finished yet. The compass can be calibrated
to whatever is defined as North though.

Perhaps there can be another definition of points to navigate, maybe ...
traffic cones? : )

Dave