[DPRG] WinXP communications support - the end of simple I/O?

Subject: [DPRG] WinXP communications support - the end of simple I/O?
From: whitmorj joe_cat at verizon.net
Date: Tue Sep 5 21:48:06 CDT 2006

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I'm stumped, frustrated, and my
projects are all stalled.

I want to interface with a PC running WinXP. Sure the easiest answer is
user 802.11 b/g (wireless TCP/IP).
I don't want to use TCP/IP, but that might be the only option available
that is still supported.

I've read Serial Port Complete, Parallel Port Complete and even USB
Complete. These are great resources but the methods they use are not
supported by the current O/S and SDK (WinXP, MS Visual Studio, JAVA).

The library for serial and parallel port control with C++ or Visual
Basic was deprecated a few years ago, and is not compatible with the
Visual Studio versions. I also found the javax.comm library, which was
deprecated back in 2001 with JAVA v1.3.

USB is current but it is limited by range and it essentially requires
expensive developer's kits or extensive experience with WinXP device
drivers to use with non-standard devices (robots vs. mouse, keyboard,
storage).

Before I give in and adopt wireless networking for my robotic control
solution, is there any currently supported serial or parallel
communications port solution available. I'm looking for something that I
can program to, not a GUI with sliders to control 16 servos on a
parallel port.

Links, tutorials, books. All advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Joe Whitmore