[DPRG] WinXP communications support - the end of simple I/O?

Subject: [DPRG] WinXP communications support - the end of simple I/O?
From: Michael C. Menefee mikem at mnetwork.org
Date: Wed Sep 6 00:48:59 CDT 2006

A quick trip down the MSDN TOC tree turns this up:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/devio/b
ase/configuring_a_communications_resource.asp

CodeProject also has a good demo or two:
http://www.codeproject.com/system/chaiyasit_t.asp
http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/BetaBriteAPI.asp

WindowsXP still supports serial ports, and is commonly
backwards-compatible with other programs. I have used a serial port from
a DOS window, as well as from within Cygwin, and I haven't seen any
problems using ports.  Things haven't changed much with serial ports
since Windows 2000.  It is still just a comms device, and you just need
to make the appropriate API calls to use them, be it ActiveX, Win32, or
"file IO".  .NET also supports and makes available a library/wrapper for
using serial ports.