[DPRG] Electronic Design "real robots"

Subject: [DPRG] Electronic Design "real robots"
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Wed Aug 1 14:00:23 CDT 2007

Here's an Electronic Design article on "Real Robots Part 2:
Software".

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=16147&byp
ass=1

There's a link to Part 1 which covered hardware. In the series,
they discuss the iRobot's iCreate, Lego's Mindstorm NXT, and
WhiteBox PC-Bot.

I think we've discussed the way we get jaded to offering as time
goes on. I'm just wondering what the rest of the group thinks.
When I saw the "Real Robot" in the title, my reaction was, yeah,
right. Those aren't real robots. Personally, I think jBot and
the Mars robots are much closer to being real robots than those
commercial offerings. A real robot does something. These
commercial offerings are nothing more than potential robots,
lacking the programming and purpose a user has to work very hard
to give them. Might as well say a motorcycle is a "Real
Airplane" because when you go over bumps, you don't touch the
ground at all.

Was my jaded first reaction right? Are we still quite distant
from what we would call a "real" robot? Or am I too overly
critical, desensitized by habituation?

Randy
www.newmicros.com