[DPRG] RE: How much do our choices effect our results?

Subject: [DPRG] RE: How much do our choices effect our results?
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Sun Aug 12 15:37:58 CDT 2007

dan michaels suggested: Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:18 PM
> The maxbotics guys advertise tunable beamwidth sizes, or
> something similar, but I have no idea how they could be doing
it.

Found a really good site explaining the foibles of sonars. Comes
close on their room scans to approximating what I saw, only
miner were not quite as good looking.

http://cml.mit.edu/~jleonard/pubs/ldw_kluwer1992.pdf

Basically, they show how you can get a fair reflection form the
wall beside you, and a somewhat steady reflection from the
corners, but nothing when you are in the inbetween angles. The
sonar just reflects and you have not return when it strikes at
an angle. Thinking back on my plot, I could see closest walls. I
had middle ranges that would show up at all sorts of irregular
steps between the two. I don't think I could extract corner
information as the article suggests.

Anyway, it's always nice to find someone has been down a similar
path.

Randy
www.newmicros.com