[DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?

Subject: [DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Tue Aug 21 17:35:47 CDT 2007

Hi DPRG members, It's been so quiet here lately, yes, I am
deliberately try to stir up discussion, while hoping not to
cross the boundary of trolling, still think this is something
worth of a good going over.

In Introduction to AI Robotics by Robin Murphy, pg 8, she says:

"<i> The Reactive Paradigm</i> was a reaction to the Hierarchial
Paradigm, and led to exciting advances in robotics. It was
heavily used in tobotics starting in 1988 and continuing
throught 1992. It is still used, but since 1992 there has been a
tendency toward hybrid architecture."

1992? Wow. To listen to the amature groups, it is and still is
all the rage. Did robotics move on in the early 1990's, and here
over 15 years later, we go on like we never got the word?

Anyone care to defend subsumption, or promote and discuss what
followed and should be current now?

I may be at RBNO later, if anyone wants to take it up in person.

Randy
www.newmicros.com