[DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?

Subject: [DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?
From: Jeff Koenig koenig.jeff at gmail.com
Date: Mon Aug 27 12:54:09 CDT 2007

> Anyone care to defend subsumption, or promote and discuss what
> followed and should be current now?

Sure!  I'll take that bait.

I'm sure the present SOTA (State Of The Art) for those at the
forefront of robotics research involves very high level
object-oriented languages and custom boards with lots of memory,
powerful processor(s), lots of mapped sensors, etc.  Custom hardware
requires custom firmware, and I'm betting few of us have the means to
produce a complex board, burn FPGA's or CPLD's, and tweak a compiler
to use the board's memory map.

So, if like me, your robot's brain consists of an 8 or 16 bit
microcontroller and a small handful of ICs, any freeware C compiler
(or BASIC, or whatever) can be used for subsumption.

Debugging subsumption's neat-o, too.  Your robot can have a few
external switches to set flags to use or supress individual behaviors,
so you can actually debug your 'bot by flipping switches and
observing.  I think this feature tends to maximize robot play-time.

I really like subsumption. I don't know what's presently in vogue, but
for small microcontrollers and real-life robots, subsumption has
worked well for me.

-Jeff