[DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?

Subject: [DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?
From: Pete Miles robots at walkingrobots.com
Date: Mon Aug 27 14:17:46 CDT 2007

I'll byte also,

I believe that subsumption has always been used and will always be used.  It is just that fancy names are being attached
to different subtle variations/implementations of the same thing.  Everything reacts to sensor input, and priorities are
assigned to how the system will respond to sensor input.  As more and more sensor input is considered at the same time,
not only is a priority considered, but some form of a weighting to the sensor input is applied.  How all this is put
together is different from developer to developer, but when you break it all down, it is the same thing, subsumption.
Subsumption just isn't the buzzword anymore.  Remember Fuzzy Logic?  It was a buzz word 20 years ago, but isn't really
hyped anymore because people naturally apply it without thinking about it.  Same with subsumption, people used it
without thinking about the word Subsumption.

Subsumption isn't old hat.  It is just a buzzword applied to something that was already being done.

Pete