[DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?

Subject: [DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?
From: Dave Grubb davidagrubb at hotmail.com
Date: Tue Aug 28 05:53:54 CDT 2007

>1992? Wow. To listen to the amature groups, it is and still is
>all the rage. Did robotics move on in the early 1990's, and here
>over 15 years later, we go on like we never got the word?

>Anyone care to defend subsumption, or promote and discuss what followed and
>should be current > now?

Well the author is absolutely right of course. Robotics as a field of study
has moved on, just as it moved from reactive to cognitive to subsumption.
However, just because the focus of research has moved from one paradigm to
another it doesn’t mean that those superseded paradigms are useless. If a
practical problem can be solved by using a subsumption architecture then
it’s entirely appropriate to do so. I think that the popularity of
subsumption amongst amateur groups stems from that it does offer a robust
and easy to implement solution to the kinds of problems of a scale tackled
by  hobbyists. Essentially, I think my and Jeff’s answers can be summed up
as “right tool for the job.” :)

Dave.