[DPRG] Motor Calculations

Subject: [DPRG] Motor Calculations
From: Chuck McManis cmcmanis at mcmanis.com
Date: Wed Aug 29 22:23:08 CDT 2007

Well 30RPM is 180 degrees per second so you're probably looking at
about 10x the HP requirement so 15HP and 50HP. The methodology is
that you compute the amount of energy the wheel has in it one second
after it starts (You wanted to be at speed in 1 second). That is how
much energy (plus any extra to overcome bearing friction, etc) your
motor has to deliver. Since you're accelerating in 1 second and
energy is in watt-seconds you can basically take the number of watts
required, divide by 750 and get horsepower. Most, motors have what is
known as a "power curve" where at certain RPM they develop peak
horsepower. So you will want to develop a transmission which at the
peak horsepower RPM results in 30RPM on your wheel, then you will
need a way to rapidly engage the motor. (A magnetic clutch is the
most common I've seen in things like tractors and such). Probably
won't get it out of an electric motor.

--Chuck