[DPRG] Serial Woes

Subject: [DPRG] Serial Woes
From: Eric Sumner kd5bjo at gmail.com
Date: Fri Feb 2 22:53:25 CST 2007

I am trying to connect a Parallax servo controller
<http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28023> to a computer
using an Acroname serial interface connector
<http://acroname.com/robotics/parts/S13-SERIAL-INT-CONN.html>.
Unfortunately, no matter how I try to hook them together (including
using resistors, diodes, transistors, and logic gates in various
configurations), I end up with one of two situations:

  * The computer can see everything it sends out to the serial port,
and the servo controller crashes whenever there is any serial
activity, or
  * The servo controller works, but the computer can't read back any
of the responses that the serial controller is giving.

In neither case is there anything obviously wrong with the control
signal.  Any ideas?

  -- Eric