[DPRG] Serial Woes

Subject: [DPRG] Serial Woes
From: Jeff Koenig koenig.jeff at gmail.com
Date: Sat Feb 3 09:45:08 CST 2007

Hmmm.

Does the Acroname serial interface controller get its power from the
serial port itself, like from the DTR signal, or is it separately
powered?

I agree with Ron that an RTS-CTS connection may have to be made if
somehow hardware handshaking is involved.

A very useful device I built some time ago has two  9-pin serial
connectors on a piece of perf board with a hex inverter, a MAX232
chip, and some jumpers. With it, you can jumper select TX and RX on
each port to either pin 2 or 3, and can also jumper an inverter on the
logic side of each gate.  I built this little beasty back when I was
getting lots of serial port-generated headaches.

It sounds to me like you're past this part, though.  (If you want to
borrow the device, let me know.)

Some time ago, when I was having trouble talking to Handyboards and
MIT 6.270 boards via a serial port, Steve Rainwater and David Anderson
suggested using Miniterm under Linux.  It turned out that that
particular problem was caused by Window's Hyperterminal.

-Jeff