[DPRG] Broken tap

Subject: [DPRG] Broken tap
From: Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Date: Fri Feb 9 17:25:46 CST 2007

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 16:38:50 -0600, "Eric Sumner" <kd5bjo at gmail.com> wrote:

> While working on this project for SMU, I broke a 4-40 tap while
> tapping a hole in 1/4" Al plate.  What is the easiest way to get the
> remaining part of the tap out of the hole?  I can't easily get to the
> underside of the plate (but I probably could if I have to), and there
> isn't enough of the tap sticking up out of the plate to grab with
> pliers.

You need a tap extractor.

Go to http://www.smallparts.com and type in: TE-043 into the search box
(assuming its a 3-flute tap).

A tap extractor is nice to have, but in reality you might be able to stick
a piece of piano wire down the slot made by each flute, and then using a
pair of pliers grap all three pieces and try and unscrew it.

Later,
Jon