[DPRG] PWM Frequency and torque

Subject: [DPRG] PWM Frequency and torque
From: Ed Paradis legomaniac at gmail.com
Date: Tue Feb 27 06:54:24 CST 2007

Just something to watch out for:

My function generator's "Duty" knob changes the frequency as well as
the duty.  It really seems to control the "length of the off period"
of the squarewave.  Its some Tektronix model.

Most people assume constant frequency and variable duty, so this might
account for some of your observations.

Also my model can only produce 0-50% or 50%-100% duty cyles.  You have
to use the "invert" button to reach the other range.  So if you're
just looking at "how much the knob is turned," you may be estimating
the produced PWM incorrectly.

I've found that my function generator was pretty much useless until I
got a scope and could see what waveforms it was actually producing.

Ed