[DPRG] Balancing robot difficulties

Subject: [DPRG] Balancing robot difficulties
From: Kenneth Maxon kmaxon at qwest.net
Date: Tue Jul 3 14:21:12 CDT 2007

Hello David,

Noted the comment on Harmonic drives.  I've used them in a few projects and
encourage everyone to at least put their hands on a set, disassemble,
reassemble and fully understand how they work.  They are one of the most
significant developments in mechanical technology in the last 50yrs..
Benefits: multiple gear teeth concurrently engaged engagement at opposite
ends of a force ring, extremely low backlash, back drivable and very high
reduction ratios in a small space...

http://nikita.argia.net/kmaxon/harmonic_drive.gif

http://nikita.argia.net/kmaxon/soj_parts_018.jpg

Give the four blue graphics, middle of the following page, a check and then
watch the animation...

http://www.hds.co.jp/HDS_hp_english/english/principle/index.html

The one in the photo is somewhat small, good for 152 in-lb from my forth
coming long term Sojourner robot project.  I've also got a set rated at 5000
ft-lbs that are only 8 in across that came from eBay for barely more than
the price of shipping.  Eventually, the later set will build a horizontal
rotary table.

-Kenneth