[DPRG] Balancing robot difficulties

Subject: [DPRG] Balancing robot difficulties
From: Next Kiwi next at pitstock.com
Date: Wed Jul 11 19:33:36 CDT 2007

Hi Guys

I chose to use Faulhaber motors on my first balancing bot, as they have zero
backlash which makes things very easy. And someone happened to just give me
a couple of these lovely motors. The downside of harmonic drives is the
minimum gear ratio is quite high. This may limit your top speed.

My new version is going to use brushless DC motors with just one timing belt
stage which should perform very well. I have built my own brushless
controller from scratch which has been quite a project in itself but is very
interesting and educational. Its amazing how responsive brushless motors
are. And because they have more poles they need less gearing. This also
makes coasting/back driving smooth too.

Cheers
Kiwi Keith