[DPRG] SRS thread

Subject: [DPRG] SRS thread
From: dpa dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Tue May 1 02:12:47 CDT 2007

Howdy,

I've been pondering more generally this evening the
direction of this discussion and the implications for
robots like the nifty one Steve is building at this
very moment.

To understand the future direction of the evolution of
robots and robotics it might be useful to look at the
evolution at its current stage.  It's really all we have
to go on.

When I was but a wee child in the 1950/60s there were several
robots on TV (Danger Will Robinson!) projections of what the
future would be.  Jane-his-wife Jetson had a robot maid named
Rosie that would wash and vacuum in the next room while Jane
went about her vanities.

What we actually have 50 years later, however, is quite different.

What's in the next room is a dishwasher and a Roomba, while
Jane goes about her vanities... ;)  The vacuum cleaner itself
has become intelligent, just smart enough to vacuum.  It doesn't
need human-level-intelligence, and it doesn't need a separate
human-intelligence robot like Rosie to operate it.

So even if we do get a Rosie someday, she won't have to know
how to vacumm, or wash dishes.  And if the past is any prologue
to the future then this trend in robotics will no doubt continue.

In fact, by the time we do get a human-intelligence level domestic
robot, there may well be nothing left for it to do.

When Rosie gets there, she'll probably find that, in the meantime,
RonCo(TM) has beat her to the job, and all in little $19.95 chunks
plus shipping and handling, while supplies last, void where prohibited
by law.

best regards,
dpa