[DPRG] stella driving down a path

Subject: [DPRG] stella driving down a path
From: dpa dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Tue May 15 00:08:38 CDT 2007

Howdy

Chris wrote:

> http://golem5.org/video/mvi4027.mpg

Cool.

<snip>
> By the end of the year, it will probably be necessary to
> move on to another robot. That will probably be a hobby-
> grade RC vehicle with at least 10x the computer power.

1/10th scale R/C cars are a nice size to handle outdoors.

These guys appear to be navigating visually using a 1/10th
scale R/C car with a clever omin-directional video camera
and onboard processing (pdf):

<http://infoscience.epfl.ch/getfile.py?recid=63997&mode=best>

The Traxxas E-MAXX 4WD 1/10 scale monster truck, which is the
source of parts for the jBot robot,

<http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robo/jbot/jbot.html>

itself makes a nice platform:

<http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/emaxx/trx_emaxx.htm>

(might need to be geared down a bit - I think top speed of the stock
E-Maxx is 30+ mph)  I've seen a couple of very nice SRS robo-magellan
entries based on this platform.  Dave Hylands' website has some good
pictures:

<http://www.davehylands.com/Robotics/Robo-Magellan/>

best,
dpa