[DPRG] Re: Interesting robot to check out...

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Interesting robot to check out...
From: Kenneth Maxon kmaxon at qwest.net
Date: Mon May 28 13:55:52 CDT 2007

Hello David,

The robot is coming along.  Given the extreme hours working for "the man",
there has been no progress in ~3-mo.  Leading up to that point the progress
was good.  Today, in the studio is the first chance I am getting to really
play in ever so long...

Given the massive scope of the six wheeled robot project I decided to build
a simplified test platform to test out controllers, power supplies, motor
drivers, software and algorithmic solutions.  The CAD depiction below shows
the test platform. All of the circuit boards for this design are completed
and in various states of population.  There are only 8 mechanical components
remaining to be fabricated prior to complete assembly, minus some final 2'nd
ops...

I have also been taking advantage of Pololu's laser cutting service on this
project.  Given that I expect this one to get quite a bit of outdoor
operation I have taken some time in an attempt to keep FOD out of the CCAs.
Some of the subassemblies are already assembled.  I will snap some photos
this evening and post them to the web site.  It is all just a matter of
time.  Work on the robot or document the progress.  I try to spend a
reasonable amount of time on both but that is a struggle :)

http://nikita.argia.net/kmaxon/proto_bot_cad27.gif

The beautiful part about this robot is that the construction and components
are relatively simple compared to the 6 wheeled robot, and much of the
technology from this robot test bed will lift directly into that one.  This
fact then leads to the name of this robot, ProtoBot....

Currently I do have pictures of most of the parts for this robot on my web
site.   I'll try to finish that out tonight and post a few pictures of some
of the subassemblies as they sit today.

Oh yes, some time back we chatted about the overall size of this robot.
Unfortunately as the various components were sized it grew and grew.  The
finished foot print will be ~24" front to back by ~30" side to side and have
a Z elevation of ~46".

-Kenneth