[DPRG] Re: Interesting robot to check out...

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Interesting robot to check out...
From: Kenneth Maxon kmaxon at qwest.net
Date: Mon May 28 15:00:01 CDT 2007

David,

Yes, ProtoBot is a skid steer platform.  It has only one set of drive motors
per side with a chain to engage both front and back wheels.  The motor
driver CCAs are common design to the six wheeled robot I am building.  Since
the six wheeled robot has 10x drivers I decided it was better to build two
prototypes throw them on ProtoBot and get it all debugged before investing
the significant time / effort it will take to lay out 10 of them on a common
board, go through all the work to lower the interference / radiation only to
find that I've made a bone head mistake.  Yep those happen every once in a
while and now that I am no longer compensated for overtime work, I have to
watch the pennies and bone head mistakes on that scale.

When it comes to the Sojourner robot, I am still debating breaking up the
motor drivers into individual boards and distributing them out into the
wheels next to the motors.  At that point using differential twisted
shielded pair to move PWM from a differential driver out to the wheels
rather than amplified / switched high current DC relieves a good number of
problems.  Additionally with the motor drivers right down on the motors
inside the wheel, leads to a fully contained model from an EMI stand point.
This should go a long long way towards reducing the exposure to the IMU from
unwanted radiated fields.

-Kenneth