[DPRG] On contests

Subject: [DPRG] On contests
From: dpa dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Wed May 30 18:29:20 CDT 2007

Howdy,

Dale makes very good points, and he speaks from some experience since he has
himself put many many hours into DPRG events.

>From the single data point of last weekend's contest (thanks Steve!) the
observation that jumps out to me is not the lack of contest coordinators,
but the the lack of contest entries.  Lots of effort went into an event for
only two entries.

We've had this discussion on and off over the years, and the conventional
wisdom has always been that the membership just won't build robots without
contests as an incentive.

Now I'm probably a peculiar deviant from this wisdom.  My problem has usually
been the opposite --- that there are no contests designed to show off what
my robots are built to do.

So my question is this:  Is the conventional wisdom really correct?  Is it
really true the DPRG membership needs a stead flow of contests else no
robots will ever get built?

curious,
dpa