[DPRG] On contests

Subject: [DPRG] On contests
From: Ed Okerson ed at okerson.com
Date: Wed May 30 19:47:15 CDT 2007

I think part of the problem at this weekend's competition was simply that
it was Memorial Day weekend.  That wasn't our fault, we were trying to
accommodate the ISDC schedule, and decided to squeeze in a contest.

Speaking for myself, I find it hard to get excited about the contests
anymore.  The outdoor events are interesting, and I would love to compete
in one of those, but there just isn't enough time in the day to get an
entrant ready.

The indoor events used to be grand specticals at the Science Place, with
lots of press and large crowds gathering, that was part of the appeal.
Not only could you make your robot run the large course, but when you did
it well there was a lot of applause, and sometimes you even got to see
parts of the event on the news later that evening, or in the paper the
next day.  Lately it seems no one in the club even wants to show up for
the paltry show.  I hope no one takes this as personal criticism, because
it isn't intended that way, but it seems that many have volunteered for
leadership positions and then don't want to lead, just delegate.

Ed