[DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?

Subject: [DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Fri Sep 7 19:44:10 CDT 2007

Jeff Koenig stepped up and said: Monday, August 27, 2007 12:54
PM
> I'm betting few of us have the means to produce a complex
board,
> burn FPGA's or CPLD's, and tweak a compiler to use the board's
> memory map.

But some of us do.

And generally, if there's demand for something, someone steps up
and offers a product. I was one of those who did just that some
~25+ years ago. I would do it again. But it really seems to me
at the moment, offering a 40-MIPs DSP was something to fresh for
the market.

> I really like subsumption. I don't know what's presently in
> vogue, but for small microcontrollers and real-life robots,
> subsumption has worked well for me.

I really think you're making my point here Jeff. If you don't
know what is in vogue, how do you know if it is useful on small
microcontrollers or not?

This is not really meant as criticism, and please don't take it
personally. I would be in the same boat, except after finishing
Brooks Flesh and Machine, I read Arkin's Behavior-Based
Robotics. That gave me a feel for advances. Then I started
reading Murphy's Introduction to AI Robotics I got the
impression lots had happened since 1992. Having not yet finished
the book, I am still wondering how big these advances really
are.

But what I find most interesting is that it seems the hobby
community is largely unaware of any advances. So I wonder
advances, there or not? And if there, how big? Or don't they
much matter. Murphy thinks so. Or she wouldn't have made the
comment about 1992. So there's some kind of interesting
disconnect from the research community and the hobby community.

Randy
www.newmicros.com