[DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?

Subject: [DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Fri Sep 7 20:09:44 CDT 2007

Pete Miles wrote: Monday, August 27, 2007 2:18 PM
> As more and more sensor input is considered at
> the same time, not only is a priority considered, but some
> form of a weighting to the sensor input is applied.  How all
> this is put together is different from developer to
> developer, but when you break it all down, it is the same
> thing, subsumption.

Wow. I don't know if I can go there. Subsumption in Brooks
implementation was pretty clearly a highest priority take all.
Also it was completely devoid of any state information.

To suggest later voting systems or behaviors blending/merging
outputs were Brooksian Subsumption to me is a sacrilege. He was
very specific and unyeilding on those points.

> Subsumption just isn't the buzzword anymore.  Remember Fuzzy
> Logic?  It was a buzz word 20 years ago, but isn't really
> hyped anymore because people naturally apply it without
> thinking about it.

I remember Fuzzy logic, and I can say I've never done a Fuzzy
Logic implementation in an actual project. I understand most of
the Fuzzy concepts very well. (I also know I don't understand
defuzzifications.) So I don't think I've adopted Fuzzy Logic
into my programming style and just dropped the buzzword in doing
so.

> Same with subsumption, people used it
> without thinking about the word Subsumption.
>
> Subsumption isn't old hat.  It is just a buzzword applied to
> something that was already being done.

Opinion noted. I don't really agree.

I do agree some portions of the original concept survive, and
are generally refered to as the Reactive Paradigm. But to say
they are Subsumption, no I can't go there.

BTW, Will and I had a very interesting discussion of what the
word Subsumption meant, and I have to say he moved my thinking
with his argument. But I don't think the meaning of the word,
and the specific context in how Brooks used it have survived in
many of the Reactive Paradigm implementations.

Randy
www.newmicros.com