[DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?

Subject: [DPRG] Is subsumption old hat?
From: William Crolley w.crolley at mchsi.com
Date: Sat Sep 8 11:16:31 CDT 2007

The new sensor architecture that is competing with subsumption would be the
various types of sensor fusion.  The advantages of sensor fusion is that
different types of sensors can be combined to avoid the weaknesses of a
single sensor.  This is a major problem for subsumption which works best
with binary info, similar to relay logic.

Currently the most popular sensor fusion method is the extended Kalman
Filter.  This assumes that the sensor data  has Gaussian noise in it.  In
practice it works fairly well even if the noise is not Gaussian.

An example of combining sensors would be to use a compass, a gyroscope, and
odometry to calculate the heading.

William Crolley