[DPRG] Is subsumption old hat? .... and who cares what the academics and doing?

Subject: [DPRG] Is subsumption old hat? .... and who cares what the academics and doing?
From: Jeff Koenig koenig.jeff at gmail.com
Date: Sat Sep 8 15:28:26 CDT 2007

Randy Wrote:

> And generally, if there's demand for something, someone steps up
> and offers a product.

Yes, generally.  But, it took 40 years or more for flat screen TVs to
appear, and I'm still waiting for my personal jetpack.

> I really think you're making my point here Jeff. If you don't
> know what is in vogue, how do you know if it is useful on small
> microcontrollers or not?

Haha!  You got me there...while I agree that Subsumption may be old
hat, it's still a good hat.

> Then I started reading Murphy's Introduction to AI Robotics...

I see that it's available used on Amazon for about $11.00.  I think
I'll order a copy based on your recommendation!

> ...it seems the hobby community is largely unaware of any advances.

I think that's true for the majority of robot hobbyists, myself
included, unfortunately.  A few of us are doing incredible work,
though, which keeps me hopeful.

-Jeff