[DPRG] Is subsumption old hat? .... and who cares what theacademics and doing?

Subject: [DPRG] Is subsumption old hat? .... and who cares what theacademics and doing?
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Mon Sep 10 15:59:52 CDT 2007

Brian Huff said: Friday, September 07, 2007 9:51 PM
> First I side with the "Hobbyists" not because Subsumption is
> the end all, be all, but because they take what is available
> to them, figure out what works and does not work for their
> environment/problem and they implement it.

Wait a minute. You are an academic!

> I have been in academia for about 20 years and have been
> passionate about industrial robotics and for the last couple
> of years, autonomous systems.  ...

And you admit it. ;)

> Maybe the Hobbyist Community is not aware of the next great
> thing because there has not been another Paradigm shift like
> Subsumption back in the mid-80's that has proven helpful to
> the robot developer, working on small computing platforms...

Yes. That is also part of my interest in the original post. Just
how important are the advances made since 1992? Is it the
hobbiest community is behind the times, or is it that they've
plateaued out at the last break of significance? And the
advances are significant enough to be excited about.

> The current wisdom in Robotics seems to be uncommonly
> practical, "Use a Deliberative Control Strategy When it makes
> sense and revert to a Behavior-Based approach when your well
> laid plans blow up in your face."
> This hybrid architecture, in my humble opinion, is a great
approach.

Yes, there is the most current paradigm name I am familiar with,
the Hybrid Architecture. That was the missing name no one had
offered up to this point.

> This hybrid approach has also not helped the typical hobbyist
< snip of nice discussion of Hybrid approach.>
> Hobbyists will pay attention to academic research when
> academic research produces something of value to the Hobbyist
> community.

So are we to conclude there has been nothing of value in the
research of the last 15+ years? Or that there are things of
value, just not to a low cost robot? Or there are things of
value but not of note to the hobbiest level user. (The last is
my best guess of the state of things.)

> You know... I do know what the next big thing is in robotics.
> The next big thing is that robotics is a technology who's
> time has come.  The basic building blocks are becoming cheap
> enough for the average school kid to own and play with.
> So just maybe it should be the academics who should be pay
> attention to the hobbyist and not the other way around.

Yes, you make a nice complement to our community. But brother,
you're one of us now. Or at least you've got one foot in each
camp.

Very thoughtful post, Brian, thanks for taking the time to
comment.

Randy
www.newmicros.com