[DPRG] Is subsumption old hat? .... and who careswhattheacademics and doing?

Subject: [DPRG] Is subsumption old hat? .... and who careswhattheacademics and doing?
From: Pete Miles robots at walkingrobots.com
Date: Wed Sep 12 16:03:49 CDT 2007

Interesting point...

For most hobbiests, playing with software is the most they can do.  Money is what is keeping most hobbiest from moving
up to the next level.  The price for individual components (like sensors, actuators, custom machined parts) begins to
exceed the entire budget for the project.  If you can't afford to make the next leap, you are just not going to do it.
So we work with the highly limited budget, and tweak software to maximize performance.  If hobbiests could afford the
components that goes to make a DARPA Grand Challenge vehicle, then there wouldn't be a DARPA Grand Challenge because
this would then be a trivial exercise.

Pete