[DPRG] Robots to the Moon

Subject: [DPRG] Robots to the Moon
From: Pay_the_Piper pay_the_piper at shaw.ca
Date: Thu Sep 13 19:11:26 CDT 2007

Hello Ed and DPRG List:

This is great stuff.

I'd like to see a machine on the Moon which looks like a human for symbolic
reasons but the important functional part of it would be the ability to
receive emails from the global Internet and send them back to a
supercomputer on this planet which is its real (artificial) brain.

Perhaps little Baby Moonbot would carry a set of masks to show how well it
is maturing in verbal abilities. It would start out with enough babbling
ability to surpass the
human equivalency test in human conversational-language norms age 1-2.

The one billion+ Internet parents of this planet could teach it the norms
for conversational skill, scenario-by-scenario.

When supercomputing power catches up to the huge charts generated for
Moonbot by all those Earth parents, it will be able to go to the "lookup
tables" very quickly and its conversations will seem natural except that the
mastery of human language will be too brilliant to "fool" us into thinking
this is a human.

In other words, it may never pass the Turing Test. It will surpass
the Turing Test all along though because it will score beyond human
 equivalency with perfect grammar, perfect vocabulary etc.

PtP