[DPRG] Robots to the Moon

Subject: [DPRG] Robots to the Moon
From: Tom Brusehaver cozytom at gmail.com
Date: Thu Sep 13 19:35:04 CDT 2007

Sign me up.

I see the stuff that Karmack is doing, which is very advanced
(landing and taking off). All this sucker has to do (yea, ALL!)
is land.

The lander would be pretty light weight, a camera, a radio,
and maybe a recording device, probably reuse the same flash
device, that has the lander code, just overwrite it after landing
(for when the earth is facing away from the moon). The power
requirements should be able to be met with solar cells. I am
guessing the lander could weigh as little as 25lbs, empty of fuel.

It might be interesting to use the same engine for a soft moon
landing and get into moon orbit. I don't know about the bouncy
landing NASA did with the Mars landers, but that would certainly
be an option (making an even lighter lander, no engine or fuel
tanks to mess with).

Fueled weight would necessitate a more substantial vehicle to
get the lander out of earth orbit, and into moon orbit. I don't know
a Falcon1 (spaceX) might be able to do it, but just barely, and
they are what $10mil a shot! there is 1/3 of the prize money.

Finding an angle investor (ala Paul Allen with Rutan's SS1),
would get things much easier.