[DPRG] extended skin project

Subject: [DPRG] extended skin project
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Thu Sep 20 07:30:37 CDT 2007

dpa,

 > Nifty use of IR proximity detectors.  Be sure and watch the videos of
 > test subjects avoiding objects while blindfolded.

Good catch!  That's a very interesting application of existing technology.

I, of course, would do it with several smaller processors, instead of one big
one, because that's the Right Way to Do It, and this list need some fodder for
controversy over implementation details.

I amused myself thinking of what the researchers told the test subjects about
the experiment beforehand.  While trying to avoid "training" them, I'm sure they
would have had to explain that "We're going to blindfold you and then put this
thing on your head that has a long wire attached.  You're not going to get
shocked but do expect *something* to happen;  we can't tell you what exactly.
Then we're going to start poking you in the head with a stick.  But it's OK,
because there's a big nerf ball on the end.  Ready?"

Hey, $20 is $20.  As a student myself, I can see the incentive.  :)

Thanks,

Dale Wheat

(972) 486-1317
(877) DALE WHEAT