[DPRG] Can Robots Replace Immigrant Workers On Farms?

Subject: [DPRG] Can Robots Replace Immigrant Workers On Farms?
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Thu Sep 27 13:57:24 CDT 2007

I don't remember which newgroup I pointed out illegal imigration
was a great enemy of robotic advancement, think it was here.
Here is an article in the electronics press discussing the
issue.

Article in Electronic Design

http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=16790&b
ypass=1

Can Robots Replace Immigrant Workers On Farms?

The folks on Capitol Hill and in the White House seem
determined, one way or another, to reform immigration. The
likely outcome will be tighter border control and fewer
immigrant workers. This leaves farmers with a rather ugly
dilemma: leave some fruit in the field to rot and raise produce
prices-a trend that's happening now and scaring farmers-or find
an alternative harvesting method.

Companies like Vision Robotics Corp. (VRC) are making the latter
possible by developing an "intelligent" duo of robots. The
"scout" is loaded with image sensors to map out and plan the
harvesting, while the "harvester" uses multiple arms to pick
delicate produce, such as oranges and grapes, quickly,
efficiently, and economically (Fig. 1).

See link for full article.

More information on the robots featured here:
http://visionrobotics.com/