[DPRG] Can anybody suggest cheap and easy CAD software?

Subject: [DPRG] Can anybody suggest cheap and easy CAD software?
From: Sluggy! sluggy9912 at swbell.net
Date: Thu Dec 11 14:23:56 CST 2008

--- On Thu, 12/11/08, brianmerritt at att.net <brianmerritt at att.net> wrote:

> Can anybody out there suggest some CAD software that is cheap (or
> freeware) and easy to use and learn?  I have tried a couple of
> freeware packages but they leave a lot to be desired.  I need to have
> .DXF formatted output (ACAD), but what I've seen so far can't read its
> own .DXF output back in without screwing it up.

It's not free forever (24.00 Euro for unrestricted version) and the tryout version is good for 100hr (10 minutes at a time; save often) but you might try QCad http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html

It's multiplatform, uses DFX as it's native file format and does everything I've needed for 2D cad.

Now, on my Fredora 7 system at work, I simply ran 'yum install qcad' and got it, unrestricted. Shrug...

The client provided by http://www.emachineshop.com/ appears to be a custom version of QCad....

Sluggy!