[DPRG] Hardware source for robot frame

Subject: [DPRG] Hardware source for robot frame
From: Sluggy! sluggy9912 at swbell.net
Date: Tue Feb 5 16:29:33 CST 2008

--- Dale Wheat <dale at dalewheat.com> wrote:

> Ron,
(snip)
> Jump in!  Just start gluing,
> nailing or taping things together and see what works
> best.

There is really no wrong way, though there may be some
"not very good' ways...

For example, hot glue, while ugly, is nonetheless very
quick and chances are you may have hot glue and a gun,
ready to go. On the other hand, *reusing* stuff that
has been hot-glued can be dicey and in fact, some
components can be damaged by the heat or by the actual
glue seeping in where it should not be.

A simple plank of wood is a great prototype frame.
Things can be screwed, nailed, glued and taped to it
and adjusted, moved, removed and reused. Wood is
generally easy to work with hand tools, is very strong
for it's weight and wood can really look good if edges
are clean and a finish is applied.

I generally like plastic framing when I can use it.
Plastic is similar to wood in many ways, but working
plastic, especially with power tools, reveals some
limitations.

The imagination is much of the limit, within the
physical characteristics of the materials. The
development platform for a robot is, almost by
definition, going to change, usually by more stuff
being added. Be sure that you design in a little room
for growth. It's really easy to carefully measure all
your components and lay them out very efficiently and
compactly, to discover that the motor you chose isn't
strong enough to move the platform, especially once
enough battery is on there to run it. Similarly, I
have occasionally found that I didn't choose a big
enough battery to run everything I eventually added
and the platform had to be enlarged for the new
battery. The bigger platform and the battery together
overwhelmed the motor. A bigger motor overwhelmed the
motor driver.

It goes on like this, and believe it or not, that's
actually part of the fun for me :)

Robert

---

"The idea that unicycling is intrinsically funny does not explain the findings." Professor Sam Shuster.