[DPRG] New sensor for robots

Subject: [DPRG] New sensor for robots
From: David dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Mon Feb 11 11:42:53 CST 2008

Hi Redouane

Your doubts about the Darwin device are probably well founded.

However, it is often the case that robot sensors don't really have
to work perfectly to be useful for robots.  Any information at all
that the sensor(s) can provide can be useful for something.

So, for example. if the device is not useful for absolute position but
gives good relative positions, then it might be very useful for fine
scale maneuvering, and so forth.

Anyway, for the suggested price it's about 1/10th the price of the
IMU I'm currently using on one of my robots, so might be worth the
investment just to check one out.  Any volunteers?

Welcome to the DPRGlist!
dpa

/
Redouane writes:
/> Hello everyone,

> Motus' product code named Darwin is said to measure absolute position
> but well.. I wonder how it is doing using only gyros and accelerometers.
> Compared to the wii controller, I guess they wanted to say that the "zero"
> direction is measured by absolute mean (magnetic north).
> So the user does not have to use an infrared to get a initial direction and may just have
> to press a button. else Does the user have to turn his/her screen face to the north ?  :-)
>
> I doubt the user is able to know where he/she is on earth.
> Anyway, correct me if I am wrong.
>
> It's my first time writing on this list,
> Should I introduce myself ?  :-)
>
> Have a good day,
> --
> Redouane BOUMGHAR
> Physics, Remote Sensing and Digital Imagery
>
> John Abshier wrote:
>/ A Boston-based company, Motus Corporation <http://www.motuscorporation.com/>
/>/ , hopes to take advantage of the Wii's popularity through a new product: the
/>/ Motus Darwin , which allows motion-based control on non-Nintendo game
/>/ <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20150/?nlid=851##> systems,
/>/ including the PC.  Motus Darwin measures absolute position with respect to
/>/ earth itself. Using gyroscopes and accelerometers, the controller orients
/>/ itself to the magnetic north, and senses the direction it is pointing.
/>/ Mahajan explains that this method has not been used before because the
/>/ gyroscopes and accelerometers have a tendency towards errors. Through
/>/ Motus's work on iClub, he says, the company has designed a combination of
/>/ hardware, software and firmware that corrects the error. Finally, the system
/>/ relays its positional information to the console in fewer than 30
/>/ milliseconds.  Darwin, expected to retail for $79-$99
/>/
/>/
/>/
/>/ http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20150/?nlid=851