[DPRG] Spring Robot Rules

Subject: [DPRG] Spring Robot Rules
From: dpa dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Mon Feb 18 18:57:28 CST 2008

Howdy,

Dean wrote:
> All events are judged by distance from the terminal point to the
> origin.  This seems very appropriate for the first two events and
> reasonably appropriate for the latter two.  But it seems there
> could be other methods to declare a winner that exercise different
> abilities.  Was there any discussion about using other metrics to
> declare the winner?

These 4 challenges are basically navigation tasks in escalating
difficulty: 1D (straight line), 2D (square), 2D with obstacles
(#3), and 3D with obstacles (#4).

So although the challenges get more difficult, the task, i.e.,
keeping track of one's location in increasingly difficult
circumstances, remains the same.  And the metric of that task,
the robot's offset from the origin, also remains the same.

However, these challenges are open to refinement and
extension once we get a group of robots that can run the
basic exercises.  That is our hope.

If we can get any robots to complete all four challenges,
I will personally form a Conga Line and lead a dance all the
way around the Science Museum.

And once all the dancing stops, we'll need to have a serious
discussion on whether there should be rule upgrades for
future challenges.

But the current thinking is that it's best to keep the rules
as simple as possible.

Dean, how's the Argonaut robot and its new Kalman filter
progressing?    Do you think it will have obstacle avoidance
working by May's contest?

best regards,
dpa