[DPRG] OT: Computer Links

Subject: [DPRG] OT: Computer Links
From: Dan Strother dan.strother at gmail.com
Date: Wed Jul 2 01:01:24 CDT 2008

It's a 1.6 GHz Atom. It easily bests Via's C7, but the Celeron holds
up better (the Atom is, after all, a lot simpler architecturally - it
doesn't even have out-of-order execution)..

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/18/preliminary-benchmarks-have-vias-isaiah-besting-intels-atom/
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14281

The really unfortunate thing about the D945GCLF is the chipset choice
- it has something like 10 times the power dissipation of the CPU (22W
vs. 2W TDP - that heatsink/fan asseembly isn't for the CPU!), so the
board's power consumption is much worse than one would expect (there's
some discussion about this here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1309823 ). Paired with a
proper low power chipset, the Atom would be an excellent low-power x86
processor..

Dan